Question
Posted by: Chan1 | 2006/11/15

HELLP - Syndrome

What is HELLP-Syndrome and what causes exactly??

I developed this with my pregnancy and my son was born prematurely at 29 weeks (1.4kg) Now, I have been advised against having any more children is this true??
All I was told (by my gynae at the time) was that I would develop this syndrome again and that the chances of baby making it to 29 weeks would be slim.

Please advise.

The HELLP syndrome is a complication of pre-eclampsia - hypertension and protein in the urine which some women develop in pregnancy. The recurrence risk is about 10% so it is by no means definite that it will happen again. Low dose aspirin and calicum are used to help prevent it. So there are options.

1
Posted by: Mrs Diana | 2006/11/15

I was digonised with the HELLP syndrome when I had my baby at 27 weeks. I had pre-clamisia and finally my kidneys were collapsing and my gynea had to take out my baby at 27 wks. Unfortunately, he survived for a month and one morning he woke up and couldn't breath properly and he was gone. I lost him in April this year, and I have been looking after my health and seeing my gynea for check up and my BP has been normal. I went to see him end of September to double check if everything was fine and he was happy. I told him that we would like to try again in October and he said We must go ahead because he is happy. We tried in October and I managed to Conceive first time. I am 6wks and 2days. I went to see him on friday and I started with the Aldomet and a low dose of Aspirin. It's a pity that there is no cure for Pre-clamisia but you can only try to prevent it

Reply to Mrs Diana