Question
Posted by: Tessa | 2005/01/07

Hello? Anyone there - pls help!

What are the chances that one can fall pregnant whilst on the pill? I haven't missed any days, but am worried as I had TOP in August and am feeling the same way I felt then. Also, if I get my period is that a sure indicator that I'm safe - ie: the pill can't force you to have your period despite being pregnant?????

See reply to previous posting.

4
Posted by: Lulu | 2005/01/08

Hi Tessa,

In response to your question: I fell pregnant whilst on the pill. I had a D&C in October after I had a missed miscarriage and a week after the operation I went onto the pill. My gynae told me to wait for 2 weeks before having sex and then the obvious: don't take antibiotics, be careful if you have vomiting and diarrhoea, etc. I followed all of the above and more! The only reason we could think of was that a D&C makes you that much more fertile and maybe 2 weeks was inadequate. I was on the pill for nearly two months when I realised I was pregnant again (which was a probable cause for miscarriage, according to the gynae) . When I was due to come on the first time, I had light spotting (which I assumed was okay since I'd bled heavily after the op) and then on the first day of my new pack of pills, I had a very heavy bleed and the blood was a fresh bright orangey-red and I cramped so heavily I could hardly walk. When I did stop taking the pill (when I found out I was pregnant) I started bleeding similarly within three days. I got the feeling with the first bleed that had I not been on the pill my body wouldn't have allowed it.

Hope that helps ?!

Reply to Lulu
Posted by: Purple | 2005/01/07

The chances of falling pregnant on the pill if its taken correctly are miniscule. If you did fall pregnant though, you would not have your period.

The bleeding on the pill is not a true period, its bleeding from taking the inactive pills in the pack.

If you've been on the pill for a long time (a couple of years), even missing one isn't going to be too bad, as the hormones build up in your body.

In addition to anti biotics, if you have diorhea (don't know how to spell it) or vomiting within 12 hours of taking a pill then you should use condoms for two weeks.

Reply to Purple
Posted by: Renira | 2005/01/07

Hi Tessa,

I am sorry that no-one has answered your question yet, it seems like they are all busy fighting with each other!!!

You can fall preggies when u r on the pill if you have been on medication which may counteract the pill. Most anti-biotics do this and some other medicines too.

If you have not been on medication and you have regularly taken your pill, you should have nothing to worry about.

Good luck.

Renira

Reply to Renira
Posted by: Jessica | 2005/01/07

The pill can't force you to have a period, when you get your period (which is the same as usual) you can asume that you're not pregnant.

Jessica

Reply to Jessica