Question
Posted by: Caroline | 2004/12/09

HELL

Do you believe that if a christian commits suicide they will go to hell ?

I know of no religion which approves of suicide, and many believe in a range of unpleasant consequences, some of them eternal, for doing so. I think the original thinking was that suicide is a vreach of the property rights of God --- that our lives belong to him, and that we should not destroy what basically is his, not fully ours. Also, perhaps, the idea that suicide implicitly and profoundly expresses a lack of faith, not only in life and in oneself, but also in the possibility that God will see to it that we get through whatever problems are making us feel so hopeless.
And Shaun, on likening it to murder, British law used to treat it very severely. Not that long ago, literally, a suicide might be buried at a cross-roads and in disgrace, and would be refused burial in any normal cemetary. And even when I was a young student, attempted suicide was a crime, and you might awake to find a policeman sitting patiently at your bedside ! It seemd an odd idea of a crime --- what would you do to someone who kept attempting suicide --- impose the death penalty ?
And as buttercup says, while we may not feel certain of whatever happens after death, we DO know that an act of suicide alwats creates Hell on earth for the family and survivors.
Caroline, it's important that your concerns be taken seriously --- but you really, really need to and deserve to, see a good local shrink, and explore this properly with someone who can work directly on this, with you.
On J's point about the arrogant "martyrs" who kill others, this isnt the place to raise levity. but has anyone re-read the piece going the rounds, of questions about all those virgins promises to the martyrs ?

34
Posted by: star | 2004/12/09

WELL said ICE!!!

Reply to star
Posted by: ANON | 2004/12/09

I believe in re-incarnation and think that those who commit suicide become -|- roaches that are then resistant even to the toughest of nuclear reactions and hence rendered immune to suicide. During major depressive episodes, they will then be limited to the thoughts only. If, however, they should knowingly and intentionally decide to dart across the CyberShrink’s kitchen floor whilst he is armed with a can of fast-acting odourless insecticide, it may be considered an act of suicide, hence resulting in the reincarnation of a -|- roach into yet another -|- roach.

Reply to ANON
Posted by: Ice | 2004/12/09

Caroline,

are you maybe asking on behalf of someone that you loved, that committed suicide? and you are perhaps wondering if you will see them in heaven one day?
I don't know what answer to give you except I believe that God is merciful, I believe he knows our hearts, and our reasons for doing things, but he will never do anything against our will... since he gave us free will right?

If you are asking because you are considering committing suicide, then consider this:

Do you really want to cease to exist altogether, simply because of pain? Being hurt causes one to grow, if you learn to let go of it. maybbe you need to forgive yourself as Shaun said.

then just 1 or 2 more things to consider:

A. There is and will only ever be one you, completely unique and individual
B. You were once the fastest and victorious sperm out of thousands competing for the egg. what makes you think you aren't strong enough now?
C. Things might seem bad to you right now, but things do CHANGE, and consider for instance that you are in fact better off than some people: for eg: those dying of Aids / Hunger / War etc.

Reply to Ice
Posted by: me | 2004/12/09

caroline,

suicide is NEVER the answer. Just think, maybe you're destined to win the biggest lottery jackpot ever, and if you commit suicide, you'll miss out on spending all that money! That is the only thing that kept me from doing it during my dark days... CURIOSITY. To scared I am gonna miss out on something great cause life isn't just bad stuff. Its like cheese, it gets better with age....

Reply to me
Posted by: Shaun | 2004/12/09

Yes Caroline, suicide does more often seem like the only way out, but know that you consider this option because it is the easy way out.
We have all been through our fair share, & we still have so much we will go through in the future. As one friend said once though, tomorrow will take care of itself when it gets here, right now it's now that matters.
So would you like to talk about what has gotten you feeling that your only option is suicide? I would like to tell you that I do know what you're going through coz I often tried this, & as you can see, I've always failed. So I'm still here, to see another day, to have my heart broken again, to be taken advantage of again, to take pride in my kids again, to look forward to getting home just now... just basically living another day & experience life.

Life is good, when you make it so. Thank you for coming back & talking to us, so now let's talk a little more...

Regards,
Shaun

Reply to Shaun
Posted by: Caroline | 2004/12/09

Rob,

When you have been what I have been throught this year, you are beyond thinking about the people you leave behind, It is sometimes easy to give advice but another thing when you go through it yourself. Sometimes suicide seems like the only way out

Reply to Caroline
Posted by: Been there | 2004/12/09

Caroline,

Buttercup and Rob are right - think of the "hell" that you would put your family and friends through. It is not worth it. Life is to be cherished. Life is filled with challenges and in order to grow we have to deal with the challenges that we are faced with, weather we like them or not. Life is a gift from God that only he can take back.

Reply to Been there
Posted by: J | 2004/12/09

I have always opted out of committing suicide because I think I am in hell, already and if "HELL" is worse than this then I dont want to experience it!!

Anyway, what are you guys view on martyrdom?Is this not also a form of suicide, eg suicide bombings, etc? Will these people also go to hell?

Reply to J
Posted by: Cookie | 2004/12/09

Caroline,

I'm not affraid to die, we are all going to die sooner or later, my biggest fear is who am I going to leave behind - my parents, my sister, my loved ones, I am so scared to leave them here when I die and I won't be here to comfort them think about that when you think of casually taking your life !!! Who is left to cry over you !!!

Reply to Cookie
Posted by: Rob | 2004/12/09

Caroline;what problems are you going through, suicide is not a way to escape your problems & difficulties.
You need to try & sort your problems out...please don't commit suicide.What will your family say if you commit suicide...

Reply to Rob
Posted by: Caroline | 2004/12/09

Rob,

I am not a teenager I am in my thirties

Reply to Caroline
Posted by: Shaun | 2004/12/09

Somethings don't require a religion to know when it may be wrong to do something. Whether you end up in hell, or just more sand, or maybe later on you might re-incarnate as a dog, or maybe even an ant. We each have our own system of believing things which we are most definitely entitled too. Yes it does tend towards being a heated argument, & generally as people we do get heated up if someone's opinion differs to the extent that it offends us. Would you say that our reaction is based on our religion, or on who we might be. If based on Christianity, does the good book not say turn the other cheek...

Opinions are to be shared, they will inevitably get to someone eventually, that's coz we are individuals who are very different to each other.

Going to hell or not, does suicide strike any of you as a viable option? Ok maybe it would to some right now, but knowing this, would you think it's the right thing to do???

Oh, btw, I'm soon to be 37..

Regards,
Shaun

Reply to Shaun
Posted by: Rob | 2004/12/09

Does anyone agree with me...i think aroline's a young girl...probably a teenager

Reply to Rob
Posted by: Cookie | 2004/12/09

It's not your life to take and only cowards choose suicide !!!

Reply to Cookie
Posted by: Bee | 2004/12/09

Thanks CP. Will just read on this one from now on.

Reply to Bee
Posted by: CP MOM | 2004/12/09

BEE - I agree with you - but everytime blackbird or someone goes into that he get's crucified (spelling) !!!

So let's rather leave it there.

Reply to CP MOM
Posted by: Sad ... | 2004/12/09

I believe that God gives life & only he can take it away . I have so many times thought it is the only way out, but someone once told me : God doesn't out you in situations you can't handle . I'm not a religiuos person but I do believe in God & the bible . There might not seem to be a way out of it now , but hold on , He is there , its just for you to reach out.

Reply to Sad ...
Posted by: Bee | 2004/12/09

I don't believe in either heaven or hell but guess that's another debate in itself.

Reply to Bee
Posted by: Rob | 2004/12/09

Shaun...you have a good point...
Tell us how old are you??????

Reply to Rob
Posted by: Annie | 2004/12/09

I believe that we are born and learn lessons during our lifetimes. I also believe that we live many lifetimes. In each lifetime , hopefully we are better people because of the lessons learnt.
If you commit suicide you will not have learnt your lessons of this lifetime and in your next lifetime these lessons will have to be learnt again.
By the way, I am a beleiver in God and not some nutcase.

God Bless

Reply to Annie
Posted by: Shaun | 2004/12/09

Yes Caroline, the Bible also says that if your hand offends or causes harm, then chop that hand off. But would you actually do that in this day & age when everybody has a right to life.

Also, circumstances in consideration, would you say that me killing myself with a gun, or hanging myself, or just overdosing would each bring different "punishment"???

There is one point that I think you may have missed out on is that even though He is said to be a loving & merciful God, maybe you are forgetting that forgiveness comes first from within. Woud you say that by committing suicide you are giving yourself another chance, or that you've forgiven yourself. I think not. Know that I think right now He is very prepared to give you all the mercy & love & forgiveness you may need, but whether you do so for youself is your own choice.

Can you come back after a suicide in repentance of this deed??? Can you swear at someone then be really sorry??? Two totally different scenarios, don't you agree?

Regards,
Shaun

Reply to Shaun
Posted by: Paul | 2004/12/09

I dont think its the solution but I think God understands the pain that pushes one to such extremes. Doesn't justify it however.

Reply to Paul
Posted by: Buttercup | 2004/12/09

Think of the "HELL" that the family and friends are left in with suicide.....

Reply to Buttercup
Posted by: Rob | 2004/12/09

Caroline,Whatever problems & difficulties you are in, they are from God.So except it as these are tests from God to see how strong you are.Remember this...don't go & commit suicide.
Imagine the pain you are going to go through,by the way how old are you?

Reply to Rob
Posted by: Rob | 2004/12/09

Shaun, you entitled to your opinion, by the way this is my first time in this forum...i have seen that you give alot of people advice.

Caroline, according to the religion some of my friends follow, if you commit suicide...they believe that your punishment in hell will be the same action you did to commit suicide...so if you jumped of a building then in hell the same thing will happen to forever...

So to everyone out there...DON"T EVER CONSIDER COMITTING SUICIDE

Reply to Rob
Posted by: Caroline | 2004/12/09

Hi all,

What about God being a loving merciful God, do you not think that God takes the circumstances into account before condemming the person to hell. I believe that Hell was created for Satan and his demons and not for people. Swearing is a sin and so is comitting suicide, one is not bigger than the other so if you swear do you think you will also go to hell ? I don't think so.

Reply to Caroline
Posted by: Shaun | 2004/12/09

Not really Bee. I say that coz nobody gives anyone the right to take away a life. That's one of the reasons I find it so difficult to rationalize the death penalty, but do understand how passionate a topic that can be in itself.
Basically I feel that you don't have the right to take away a life, be it your own or someons else's.

How would you answer this question if it was based on murder? Coz in my opinion that's what a suicide is... murdering oneself... you just get away from being prosecuted with it.

Remember people, this is my opinion, you are allowed to have your own, but please don't take offence.

Regards,
Shaun

Reply to Shaun
Posted by: cp mom | 2004/12/09

yes

Reply to cp mom
Posted by: Rob | 2004/12/09

Yes,Yes,Yes... according to most religions that i know of,if you commit suicide...you will go to HELL.

Reply to Rob
Posted by: Bee | 2004/12/09

He's saying that just in case you are planning to do something daft!

Reply to Bee
Posted by: Caroline | 2004/12/09

Shaun, why do you say that ?

Reply to Caroline
Posted by: Zzz | 2004/12/09

I think all religions take a negative view on suicide ....

Reply to Zzz
Posted by: Shaun | 2004/12/09

Yes, of-course!!!

Reply to Shaun
Posted by: Bee | 2004/12/09

No.

Reply to Bee