Question
Posted by: Gobbles | 2003/02/21

hefty issues

My family seems to think I need to go to a therapist because they say I'm obsessed with my weight, do you think I have a problem. I was once really over weight and all I want now is to get thin and stay that why, so I watch what I eat, I exercise and take diet pills they seem to think this is crazy. Wht's your opinion?

Dear Gobbles ( do I detect a rather fat self-image from your nick ? )
There's only on way to et a wise and accurate answer to this important question --- for you to see a psychiatrist for an expert assessment and advice. You might be right --- the family may be over-reacing. Or they might be right, as Eating Disorders are surprisingly common, and can be dangerous, while the person with such a disorder may find it dificult to reconize what may be obvious to anyone else who knows her.
Let the shrink be an arbitrator, after assessing you and the situation.

2
Posted by: Zeena | 2003/02/21

Leave those pills alone!!! They are absolutely dangerous, no matter that they are sold over the counter. They are addictive, and if you have any hidden heart problem, it will be exacerbated by the use of these pills, who all contain nor-pseudo-ephedrine. I was warned off them years ago by my pharmacist, who knew that I have Barlow's syndrome -- normally a benign heart valve abnormality. About 6% + of women have this, and he said I will be in deep trouble if I take appetite suppressants with Barlow's.

Keep your weight steady by forgetting about diets. I have enough slender friends to know how they eat. They eat whatever is on offer, but they don't overeat. They do not count calories or obsess about fats. They have breakfast, a lunch snack and dinner -- usually tasty, healthy, fresh foods. And they never gain weight. If they feel like a slice of cake and coffee, they have it -- not regularly, but certainly they don't let their fun be ruined by the idea of a DIET.

The more you obsess, the worse you feel, the more people will nag you ... etc. Forget about food. Find an absorbing hobby that takes up your attention, instead of the kitchen and food. YES, you have reason to worry. So start a normal lifestyle today!

Reply to Zeena
Posted by: nina | 2003/02/21

hi there

your goal seem to be "to remain thin" and you live according doing whatever it takes, thats why you seem to think you are fine

my personal opinion is that you should stop being worried about your weight and start worring if you are a healty person - both physically and emotionally

the fact that you drink dieet pills is firstly a sign that you trust the pill and not yourself to keep the weight down - and secondly the pills are dangerous and deff not healthy

you did well be losing weight but are you truely happy inside when no one sees?

ti think your family have reason to worry because they care about you

good luck

nina

Reply to nina