Question
Posted by: fuzzymoon | 2007/02/20

Hedgehogs (krimpvark) as a pet?

In The USA & Canada, one can keep Hedgehogs as pets...
Can you keep them as a pet here in South Africa?
Do you need some sort of permit?
Are they for sale at all? Do they make good pets? etc. etc. etc. ?

Please let me know...

Thank You

Please check with your local conservation officer about permits. It is most likely illegal to sell them as they are wild animals.

13
Posted by: Len | 2016/08/14

I have just received a hedgehog as a gift. A legally licensed one. It is the cutest thing but I don't see the point? It comes out at night and if you go near the cage, it rolls up. It is impossible to make real friends and have a cry and chat with - like with a dog. Mine eats only cat food and refuse anything else. I have not been able to get worms or any other natural food. It is clean and doesn't smell. i made a huge cage - about one and a half meter by one meter - double story, with a grass carpet and all the other things that is needed. I have put huge rocks in the cage and some things to play with. It seems to play with everything. It was almost impossible for me to get a wheel under R600, so I made my own for R45 using a plastic cake tin and a few screws, some wood stand and a long thin screw. Took 30 minutes to make and the hedgehog runs all night on the wheel. Generally I think they should not be kept as pets although they are very cute.

Reply to Len
Posted by: Anonymous | 2016/06/19

We have just got one and they are amazing pets! Very friendly. And they come out at disk so it's perfect: you don't feel guilty leaving them at home all day

Posted by: jk | 2015/05/02

No you do not need a permit if it is from outside South Africa such as an African Pygmy, African Pygmy are legal. South African Hedgehogs are illegal and can't be kept as pets. You could go to jail if caught with one.

Reply to jk
Posted by: Anonymous | 2015/03/15

Yes their will always be the person (Nature Freaks) that will comment on nature need to be in the wild and not in our living compartments. My question, nature freaks also use pestizides to kill pest indoor pests, not knowing that this is food for other anemals. Even the zoos, nature parks keeps anemals in smaller inviroments that they are use to. If not for this where would humans get their knowledge from how any animal lives in the wild"habitat"? It is people with no knowledge - intrest and love for animals that always have bad comments? Who ever said that a dog or cat is a house animal? And yes all animal will always be wild even in a household enviroment!!! How many loveable dogs bite the children or owners that had them from birth? Strange behaviours happens they come from the wild! Every person and animal is uniclay created by GOD and who are one to judge or crtezise? I have snake-egwanas-fish-dogs -spiders and my favourite hedghogs. They all have their own personality and are all loving creatures. So what can I say? All depends on how one care for them! How do you care for your child? Exacly the same goes for your pets!

Reply to Anonymous | 2 comments (hide)
Posted by: Len | 2016/08/14

Your spelling leave me gobsmacked. Maybe you should use your spell-check. You comment is valid though.

Posted by: Len | 2016/08/14

Posted by: Anonymous | 2015/01/24

I have to disagree. they make good pets especially for apartment living and no, having a nocturnal pet does not make them lousy - hamsters are also nocturnal and they make good pets - especially for children. from my experience all animals have needs and can also be prone to variety of illnesses - this comes with the responsibility of ownership.

Posted by: Anonymous | 2014/12/14

You can keep hedgehogs as pets, they are not lousy pets!!! African pygme hedgehogs are the cutest and most adorable pet to have. They are not hard to care for, their main diet is cat food a good brand with high protein, you can give them mealworms as treats and some fruits and vegtables, they will need a big cage one level with a solid bottom, a running wheel with no bars which is solid because they run at night. I have a hedgehog and it's the best pet ever!!! Don't listen to anyone saying otherwise they are only displaying their own stupidity. :D

Reply to Anonymous | 2 comments (hide)
Posted by: Anonymous | 2015/01/31

Hey, thank you so much for the help, but I was still wondering, do you need a permit to keep hedgehogs as pets.

Posted by: Anonymous | 2015/01/31

Posted by: jax | 2007/02/21

1. Strictly ILLEGAL unless you first get a permit from Nature Conservation.
2. If you find somewhere to buy them from, the law is almost definitely being broken already.
3. No, they make lousy pets. They are nocturnal, so you will seldom see them. They are also wide-ranging territorially - a hedgehog territory is generally about 10 acres (although not exclusively), and they walk roughly 2 to 3 kms nightly as they browse. They are very prone to ticks and fleas, and cannot be treated with any of the readily available commercial mixes.
They are also often injured in urban situations - by dogs, lawnmowers, edge-trimmers, falling into swimming pools etc. They also have difficult feeding requirements - bread & milk is not a recommended diet. They need a large variety of insects and grubs, as well as various plants that they would eat in the wild. And they have absolutely no interest in people, or any desire to become friendly with humans.

Rather get yourself a dog or a cat, as these are species that are adapted to domestic lifestyles.

Regards,
Jax

Reply to jax | 1 comment (hide)
Posted by: gail | 2013/07/07

some people left 2 hedgehogs in our hotel.they have gone behind a bath. we want to get them out. Help! What food could we put down for them to entice them out from where they are hiding

Posted by: jskr | 2007/02/20

As far as I know they are indigenous wildlife, and therefore you would need a permit to keep them as pets.

Please do not buy a hedgehog off a street vendor, as this promotes the elimination of the species from it's natural habitat, and will have a crisis effect in the long term.

Reply to jskr