Question
Posted by: Lettisha | 2007/03/19

Heavy Tongue

Can someone help please, I have a short and thick tongue , it cannt go beyond my lower lip and i have noticed it is attached to my lower jaw. Iam not so articulate in my pronounciation , is this the cause or what ? What is the normal length of tongue, does the length matter?. Please help me

Dear Lettisha
Some people have a short frenulum ( a birth defect) - the thin thingy beneath your tongue that fixes it to the floor of the mouth. This can prevent you from moving your tongue properly. It can be lenghtened by cutting it under anaesthetic by a maxillo facial surgeon - you can ask your dentist to refer you to one nearby.

Here is pictures of the operation (if you want to look at this)
http://www.ghorayeb.com/TongueTie.html