Question
Posted by: July | 2004/01/02

Heavy periods

Hi doc

Ive looked at the archive but Im still not sure, Im 24, have been on dianne for 2 years and 6 months for my skin. I have been off it for 7 months to try and lose weight. Im 20kg overweight. The first 3 months my period was very heavy for 3 days but lasted 12-14 days. For the last four months its seven days with the first day very light and the 2-4 day very heavy and clotty. (I have to change the lilets for very heavy flow every 2 hours.)And the last days very light. Will this go away or do I need to see my gp. My skin is also looking terrible!!

Periods are heavier off the Pill. However, yours seem excessive. You should see a gynaecologist to check that there is no underlying problem causing the heavy periods. If not, it may be worth going back on the Pill. 20 kg of weight would not be due to the Pill. You should join a program such as Weighwatchers to help you shed this weight.