Question
Posted by: marge | 2004/11/22

Heavy legs

Dear Dr.
About a month ago i started getting a bruised like feeling on my left foot in the middle of my inner sole (arch). I have tried Voltaren gel and pills, deep heat and have bandagd my foot for a whole week. I t seemed to have eased it. I then took off the bandage and stopped the Voltaren pills and now the pain seems to have got worse ! I find that when i get up from sitting or laying down the pain is there. Once i start to walk it eases.Also my legs feel very heavy, especially when i go to bed at night. I dont know how to lay to get comfortable. I am so worried that it might be a blood clot.
Please help ?

Marge, it sounds like you might have a Morton’s neuroma. It is a pinched nerve between the foot bones that causes transient numbness and or pain. You can have it injected with cortisone and if that doesn’t work, you can have it surgically removed by an orthopaedic surgeon or a neurosurgeon. It might also be due to a nerve being pinched somewhere and I suppose there is a remote chance that you have a blood clot somewhere. The best would be to get a second opinion as I can’t really give you a definite diagnosis without examining you first. Good luck.