Question
Posted by: Bev | 2004/01/21

Heat Rash

Everytime we have an exceptional hot day my fox terrier gets a rash all over. What can I use for this? It worries her and lasts a few days.

It depends on the cause, however application of soothing ointments and lotions is very often effective in these cases. Your vet will also be able to provide a corticosteroids/antibiotic ointment that can be very effective for this type of problem. Obviously ointments are only indicated if the rash is localised. If it is generalised, a good antiseptic type shampoo obtained from your veterinarian may be more effective (get a shampoo that contains chlorhexidine).

Dr Malan van Zyl
Veterinary Specialist Physician
Cape Town