Question
Posted by: wondering | 2004/11/10

HEAT PERIOD

I'm still very confused. My daschund has now (looks like) stopped bleeding but her vulva has not retracted properly yet and her breasts are still swollen.

Does this mean she is now over the "heat" period. Is she safe now for a while from my other dogs? They dont seem to be interested in mounting her anymore?
How long will it take for her to physically look herself again?

When is the soonest I can have her spayed. Dont want to go through this again.

The end of bleeding does not signify the end of the heat, in fact they are most susceptible to being mated once the bleeding has stopped. It does take some time for the vulva to retract back to normal size. The enlargement of the mammary glands usually follow the heat period. Observe your male dogs carefully. If they really show no more interest, it is probably safe to allow them access to the young lady again. You can have her spayed about a month after this season.

Dr Malan van Zyl
Veterinary Specialist Physician
Cape Town

4
Posted by: Nikki | 2006/02/28

I would just like to find out if this is something to be concerned about. Her glands are swollen underneath her ears. They are quite big. What could be the cause of this? What can I do to prevent this from happening again?

Reply to Nikki
Posted by: Donna | 2004/11/11

Hey, wondering, I think that's a bit out of line, saying that about Chill. I know he's sometimes abrasive bbut if you take the trouble to read back on this forum you will see that he gives damn good advice too and takes the trouble to do that in the first place.

It's not necessary to be rude like this..

Reply to Donna
Posted by: Acineth | 2004/11/10

If you do a search, you'll find the answer to how soon before she is on heat again, and possibly how soon to have her spayed.

Reply to Acineth
Posted by: wondering | 2004/11/10

Chill bly jy net weg asseblief jy maak my bang

Reply to wondering