Question
Posted by: anxious | 2007/02/20

HEAT

CD

Is there any update on HeartDoc's forum?

One other thing, how does one generally know when you are badly dehydrated and how bad does it have to be to require medical treatment?

We were away this w/e in Umhlanga (yes again! but who can blame us when we can get free accommodation with a beautiful sea view with glorious weather right on the swimming beach?!) My problem this weekend seemed to be the extreme heat combined with what seemed to be worse levels of humidity this time. When we were there last month it didn't seem as bad although it was also hot. I found myself deliberately drinking litres and litres of liquid (mainly cold water!) but this didn't (I felt anyway) seem to help much in that I still seemed exhausted. I did swim a bit and do a bit of walking (nothing extreme) - did this play a part in my being exhausted? When we got home yest I was so utterly exhausted I collapsed into bed at 19:40 and woke up this am at 06:40! I woke up very briefly 2 during the night to go to the loo - but that was it! Does my having only 1 kidney make a difference when it comes to things like extreme heat and/or humidity?

I see now here its no better either! Maybe I should be using the pool!

Thanks for the help.

Dear Anxious
Yes the severe heat, humidity and having only 1 kidney may influence your bloodpressure which can make you feel quite washed out. If your tongue is wet when you stick it out ( and you don't feel like having a dry mouth) you are probably well enough hydrated.
I haven't heard anything about heart doctor yet!