Posted by: Joey | 2008/08/18

Heartburn when eating whole grain

I am 23 years old and ocasionaly suffers from heartburn.

I am really trying to do the " healthy living" , but I really struggle with hearthburn when I eat any whole grain product.

I don' t get any heartburn when eating junkfood, fatty food, tomato sauce etc., but yet I really suffer when eating a apple with skin ( no skin is fine), raisins, muesli or any whole grain product, sometimes even jogurt etc

Could it be a food allergy or is my digestive system just struggling to digest the " healthier"  options.

Because of the heartburn I now avoid these foods.

Dear Joey
It is difficult to say if you suffer from an intolerance to these foods or just one or more components of the foods. If you have gastric reflux then you may react to certain foods (like the wholewheat or apples) and not to others (like the junk food) as this is often an individual reaction that is difficult to predict. If you find that this condition becomes chronic then please do have a medical checkup so that the dr can determine if you suffer from food allergies, heartburn, gastric reflux, irritable bowel syndrome or ulcers, because you may require treatment and a specific diet.