Question
Posted by: Mia | 2005/12/12

Heartburn

Hi I'm new on this forum but I hope you will be able to help me. I have this problem with heartburn. I've tried lots of stuff like drinking milk, eno's,eating rennies etc, even drinking gavascone. It all just helps when I drink them, five minutes later it's still there. It feels like my mid section, top part is constantly blown up and it's pressing against my chest. I don't want to see a doctor coz he only gives one those white antacid stuff. It's really killing me and I feel bloated all the time. I thought it was cos of the coffee or tea at work, it's usually very strong, but not, I cut out all fatty stuff, spicy stuff and even drinking sugar tablet instead of sugar. Nothing. Even if I drink lots of water, I also get heartburn. Please tell me what could be the problem?

Dear Mia,
You could have a hiatus hernia - which is a big word for " the upper valve of the stomach is not working 100%"! See http://www.animatedmedical.com/Hiatushernia/hiatushernia.html
If medication does not help, you could have an operation to fix the problem. Ask your GP to refer you to a good surgeon that has experience in doing these kind of operations.

1
Posted by: Trouble | 2005/12/12

Probably a hiatus hernia, try Ranihexel, take one 150mg tablet in the morning. You can buy it over the counter.

Reply to Trouble