Posted by: amelie | 2008/08/11

Heart rate, weight gain, blood pressure

I have picked up 25 kg' s over a two year period after my mom died. After she died I had a complete check up with a cardiologist - we did everything in, and out. I was even hooked up to a monitor that I carried around for two days to check my heart.

All clear. My heart is great.

I stopped gymming and fell into all the wrong kinds of habits. Now I have just started body for life. My heart rate is higher than the average 72 beats per minute - quite a bit in fact. My blood pressure is at times on the high side, but mostly normal. All of these are (I know) effects of the huge amount of weight I picked up.

As i said, i have now started body for life and am very excited by the changes I am already feeling in my body. My boyfriend is however concerned about my high heart rate.

I am not worried about it right now, because I am doing something about my overall condition! i believe that as I get fitter and shed the weight, my heart rate will slow. I realise that my heart has had to work harder over these two years as I picked up the weight and became so unfit.

Am I right do you think? Again, I have no underlying heart disease. Just the high heart rate.

Hi Amelie

Difficult to say, because I don't know how "high" is for you? You mention it is higher than the average 72, but I'm not sure if that's during exercise, when you're sleeping, when you're sitting down? That all obviously affects it and so you have to interpret it according to the exercise task you're doing.

I think, however, from what you've said, you've got nothing to worry about. A full cardiology check up that shows nothing is a great sign, and though it was a while back, it's a positive. The weight gain is most certainly part of the problem, and your high heart rate may well be due to that. But it's also a loss of fitness over the last few months or years, and you'll find that it does come down, not only because you're losing weight, but because you're improving your fitness.

So my advice is to continue to listen to your body, but don't become too pre-occupied with numbers and with figures like this 72 "average". You're not "average", so should your heart rate be? If you keep training, just listen to your body and train as you feel, heart rate will take care of itself.

Posted by: Art | 2008/08/13

do you consume a lot of salt check the prodicts you are eating try cut the salt out your food intake

Reply to Art