Question
Posted by: mtb biker | 2007/04/24

heart rate during race

My heart rate during training is average 170 and max 185 but drops fast when I slow down, but during a race, at the start it climbs to 180 without effort and stays high, is this coursed by tension, stress or adrenaline or what could be the course. What can I do to keep my heart rate down?

It's mostly adrenaline and it's really important that you realise that this is what happens during races. It's the reason, in fact, that you should not try to race according to heart rate, because it can be very misleading. And there's not much you can do to bring it down, so rather than fight the inevitable, try to race without consideration for heart rate. If you are racing, then it's not really relevant anyway. I recall that about 15 years ago, when heart rate monitors came onto the scene, Nick Bester lost the Comrades because his heart rate monitor was 'telling him to slow down', when in actual fact, he was being misled because it was higher than usual considering he was racing. So it's just a number, not that important, and I wouldn't worry about it. If you can wait, pick up NEXT month's Runners World - I wrote an article for them and it appears as a regular column in the June edition. But hpoefully you are happy enough with this as well.