Question
Posted by: Angela | 2006/10/31

Heart rate and thyroid and other stuff

Hi Doc,

Since joining an excercie programme, I have become very concious of my heart rate. Over the last 2 years I have also had some thryoid funnies, firstly it was too low, was on thyroxine, then it was too high, stopped the pills and it was even higher the next time I tested it, without pills, then it was normal and then slightly high, but so slight my doctor said not to worry about it. The endocrinologist did not seem concerned and said that a viral infection could be what happened.

I have had ECG's and it was fine, am 31 year old female.

I have noticed however, that in the mornings before I get out of bed my heart rate is slightly higher than say mid morning. I would think the opposite should be true, from what I was told in run walk for life, it is its lowest at rest, before you get out of bed. At the moment my heart rate is 64 bpm, and I would guess before I get out of bed, my heart rate is around 70 to 75 bpm.

About 2 years ago I had my wisdom teeth removed and when I woke up from anesthetic was told that they have to observe me as my heart rate was too high, around 110 bpm. This was at the same time that my thyroid was too high, so yes it could have been linked, but it was very high after the anesthetic. Tomorrow I am going in for a sinus operation to have a septum straightened and am worried I might have the same reaction to the anesthetic.

Any points you could give me as to why my heart rate seems to be higher in the mornings and lower during the day. I have had 2 cups of coffee, which should also increase my heart rate. Blood pressure is normal.

Angela.

Dear Angela
Your resting heart rate should be lower than your active heart rate - you may get what we call paroxysmal ventricular tachicardia which is not dangerous but causes the heart to beat faster at times. Can be diagnosed with a holter ECG ( you are attached to it for 24 hours and it makes a recording of your heart rate) A cardiologist can do this.
Inform the aneasthetist about the previous operation's problem so that he can be prepared if something should happen.