Posted by: K | 2012/03/29

heart rate

I hope you can help me and put my mind to rest. How is it possible to have a heart rate of 86 at rest and then a heart rate of 61. These are taking at different times of day and at rest. Im relaxed, havent exercised or being talking. It changes so often. I take my bp daily. This morning my heart rate was 53, 69, 43, 64( I take it 4 x) Now its 84,86. Im also noticing a missed beat a few times in last month or so. It happens fairly regularly. I have also been very fatigued, losing weight, nauseous , tingly feet, headachy and just not right. My father had Diabetes 1. I do have hypertension and im on meds for it. Is there a cheap method of finding out my sugar level? Im not on Medical Aid. Im 45yrs and 50kg, 1.61m.

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageCardiologist

Dear K

Thanks for your query. I note that you are 45 and somewhat underweight. It is perfectly normal for heart rates to fluctuate, especially in younger people who tend to be anxious. Missed beats also commonly occur in people with perfectly normal hearts and are nothing to be concerned about. Your other symptoms also sound like they are due to anxiety.

Even though you may have high blood pressure and be on medication, you do not need to take your blood pressure every day! My advice would be to stop checking your blood pressure and heart rate and rhythm so frequently. It just creates unnecessary anxiety.

It very unlikely that you have diabetes Your father had type I diabetes, which is not an inherited type of diabetes, and you are young and underweight. However, if you are worried, any chemist should be able to check your blood sugar at very low cost.

I realize you are not on medical aid but my advice would be to go to see a general practitioner who can assess the whole problem for you. I suspect most of your symptoms are due to anxiety and/or stress. I hope things go better.

Best wishes, JT

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.