Question
Posted by: kevin | 2007/06/20

heart rate

I have now been active for a few months. i do satir climbing for 40 minutes four times a week when i am away at work. when i am at hom i jog on average 4 times a week. i have completed 2 short runs(5K's) and completed it in 30 minutes. I am 46 and my weght is 101Kg. i have difficulty in getting my weight down, i do watch what i eat. my heart rate is also not coming down, my resting heart rate remains at +70bpm.
i am considering to have my thyroid checked because i am not seeing results, i.e weight loss and an increase in fittness levels. since we received a treadmill at work i also started doing runs on the treadmill, i do a 1 hour run once a week at an average pace of +10km/h, one run of 30 min at +11km/h.
I think my recoevery rate is better but i am not really sure because my overall fitness stays the same.
PLEASE HELP

HI Kevin

Recovery rate is quite an important component of getting fitter, so don't despair, something is working!

But seeing to the thyroid possibility is certainly something worth doing, that will at the very least either confirm or disprove a possibility.

Dealing with the next issue, the fact that you don't feel fitter, were you running 1 hour when you began training? Because that's a massive amount to start with. So would I be guessing wrongly if I suggested that when you started, you probably would not have been able to run for 1 hour? If that's true, then you have gotten fitter, by quite a margin.

The other thing that jumps out is that you are running quite fast - 6 min/km is no mean feat, and I again would like to see if that's the speed you ran at when you began, because it's pretty impressive if it's true. Is it possible that you just haven't picked up that you are fitter because you have increased the running duration or speed unconsciously so that exercise feels just the same as before, even though it's not? That does tend to happen sometimes...

But I think have your thyroid checked out and then just give it some time and let's see how it goes now that you have reached a level of training that is reasonably good. What you do next is see for example if you can get that 30 minutes run to 12km/h, obviously over some weeks, not all in one go.

Ross

1
Posted by: kevin | 2007/06/23

Well. last night I tried the 12Km/h mark and was able to maintain it for a short period. I gradually increase my speed every five minutes so i start off at 11km.h on the shorter run. And yes, I do not think that I woud have been able to run at that speeds or time.

Reply to kevin