Question
Posted by: Hesta | 2007/06/04

heart rate

Why do my heartrate first go down and then up on the bicycle at the gym?

HI Hesta

Not sure, I think it depends on the method used to measure heart rate - how are you measuring it? There is a phenomenon where the heart rate goes up quite a lot BEFORE you even start exercise, in anticipation of the exercise bout, and then as soon as you start training, it could come back down if that initial increase was an 'overshoot'. Then once you start, it climbs, which is very normal, because a lot of changes happen in the body to allow you to exercise. The other option of course is that it's a measurement error, and that's where the method of measuring becomes important, hence the earlier question of the method. But I don't think there's anything to worry about - usually, I would suggest that one exercise for at least 2 or 3 minutes to allow the heart rate to rise and settle a little before even trying to monitor it with any accuracy.