Question
Posted by: Katja | 2005/07/01

Heart rate

I find that my heart rate gets very high while I exercise. While I'm at gym my heart rate often reaches 170 or 180 - which seems to be higher than 'recommended' - even though I don't feel any discomfort. Is this normal? I am 21 yrs old.

Expert ImageArchive

Dear Katia,
Topdeck has given you a pretty detailed answer. All I can add is that you be aware of not exceeding the maximum – either the rate or the time mentioned – and that you stay alert for any signs of fatigue or pain which could signal undue strain on the heart muscle mass. Good luck.

HeartDoc.

2
Posted by: Clive | 2005/07/16

My maximum heart rate goes up to 232 bpm on a cycle training ride.Resting heart rate 28 bpm.I maintain an average of 65%-70% during most sessions lasting from 1-3 hours.Do you think my max.rate is too high?I am 53 years old.

Reply to Clive
Posted by: Topdeck | 2005/07/01

Your heart rate while excercising is perfectly normal. For a female you determine your maximum heart rate for your age as follows:

226 - 21 (your age) = 205. You should not exceed your maximum for more than 10 sec. The intensity level during aerobic cardio vascular excercise should be between 70 and 90 % of your maximum heart rate, thus between 143 and 185 beats per minute. It is safe to excercise at that intensity level for one to three hours!

Reply to Topdeck