Question
Posted by: Liz | 2003/02/14

Heart rate

My max heart rate is 185 (220-35) and max training heart rate is 148 (80%). If my aim is to improve fitness, at what level should I exercise, for how long and how regularly. I do running, and cardio in the gym (20 min. treadmill, 20 min. bicycle, 20 min stairs). This morning in the gym I noticed that my heartrate was 150 (according to the machines) for most of the time - what does this imply?

HI Liz

This implies that you are training at just over 80% of your max HR which is great!

However, if you want to improve fitness even more, you could do one session a week of interval training, where you push your heart rate right up to over 90 - 95% for a short period (1 - 2mins), and then allow your body time to recover (2 - 4 mins). Then repeat this - up to 5 times or so. This will help to improve your fitness and can be done on any or all of the exercise modalities you mentioned. I would try to train about 5 days a week with 3 days cardio and 2 days resistance training. Alternatively, you could double up and do cardio and resistance trianing on the same day if you don't want to go to gym so often. I suggest you visit the War on Wobbles Programme on the front page, since full programme prescription is given if you join up with this programme (for free).

Good luck!