Posted by: BB | 2008/08/12

Heart Palpitations

I have recently been having heart palpitations every now and then, which I am not sure of the cause of.
I seperated from my husband 3months ago and have just moved into a new place for a month and a half now. I have a 2yr old son and am now a single mother. I am 29 and work full time. I dont know if this is connected or not. I am not sad about the seperation, in fact it was my decision and it was the right one. I just have also been feeling so tired all the time recently. I struggle to get out of bed in the mornings I am tired, feel like I never get enough sleep and have less patience with my son. I also feel a bit tearful and overwhelmed and have these thoughts of something bad is going to happen all the time.
Is this just stress? What can I do about this and do you think the heart palpitations are linked to this.
Thanks Dr.

Dear BB
Even though the decision to seperate was the right one for you, this is still traumatic emotionally, and you have been through a lot of changes, with added responsibilities in the last few months. Do the depression test and anxiety test on If your scores are high, rather see your GP for a prescription to help you through this. It may be worthwhile to see a psychologist to teach you some stress relief techniques too. Your GP could just do an ECG to check your heart rhythm at the same time.