Question
Posted by: luvvies | 2007/12/03

Heart Palipitations

HI there
I am a 34 year old mother of three, smoker +- 8 per day, don't really know my weight (am weighing more that I want to.) I've been having palpitations for the past month. First doctor prescribed Tranqipam and second sent me to see a cardiologist. Don't know what he means with my heart rate being 113 (according to calculations)and cholesterol 3,6. He says everything seems to be fine but I'm worried as I still have these episodes. My left arm feels heavy and don't know if I should take pain tablets. Is there any thing that I can do, why do I get these palpitations and is it going to be ok. Had thyroid checked as well but this is ok. Really worried

Dear Luvvies
Did you have an ECG (or stress ECG) and was this normal?
Fast heart beat is called tachycardia and is usually caused by abnormalities in the electrical "wiring" of the heart or due to stimulants like coffee, alchohol, tobacco, diet drugs or some prescription drugs like Eltroxin.
It can also be a sign of anxiety.
If you have excluded all stimulants from your diet, you have no heart disease and you still have these symptoms - ask your GP if you could take a low dose of Beta blocker like Inderal?
see http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/tachycardia/DS00929/DSECTION=1

1
Posted by: luvvies | 2007/12/04

It was a stress ECG and it was normal. Had the Holter fitted for 24 hrs and he picked up that I had extra beats. These palpitations are not going away and i'm feeling tired. I'm cutting down on coffee and other stimulants. Will it go away naturally. I really have no major worries going on in my life right now.

Reply to luvvies