Question
Posted by: Shazz | 2005/12/02

Heart Murmer

Hi, I have got a heart murmer, have had it since small. Is there anything that I shouldnt do as in exercise wise? Is there anything that I could do that might aggrevate it?

Expert ImageArchive

Dear Shazz,

As you do not say the cause of your heart murmur, I cannot give you any specific advice. There are four different valves in the heart, any of which could be affected. Whichever valve is affected, it could be a leaky valve or a narrowed valve. Each of these combinations of valve + either leak or narrowing has different problems associated with it. You could also have a hole across your septum causing the murmur, and depending on whether the hole is in the atrial or ventricular septum, so the situation will change.

Shazz, you need to see a cardiologist for a proper diagnosis. He will be able to answer all your questions once he can say what exactly the problem is. You may need to have antibiotic cover each time you go to the dentist to prevent a deadly infection occurring on a leaky valve, for example, so it is very important that you do this.

HeartDoc