Question
Posted by: Andre | 2003/01/20

Heart Block

I read an article on this site that Heart Block Normally happens to people who are reasonable fit. I had a second degree heart block a month ago. That morning when I was at the Gym I could feel that my blood pressure is very low. Every time I got up I was very dizzy. I normally don't eat in the mornings before I go to Gym. I also don't drink a lot of water while I am at the gym. After my normal weights training I attended my normal spinning class. Could the low blood pressure and/or not eating was the course for the herat block. If not why does it happen and what can I do the prevent it. I am to afraid to go to gym. I understand that normally heart block occur with people that are normally fit. So with all my hard work to get fit, I have this problem. Please, do you have any advise for me. Will it be better if I just stick to cycling.

The doctor say I must take it easy. Up to the end of last year I went to gym in the mornings and afternoons. I do weight training, running on the treadmill for 20 minutes then I will do a spinning class. Twice a week in the afternoon. I will do 2 spinning classes after each other. On average I did 13 to 15 sniping classes a week. Depends if I race on a Saturday, I do not spin. On Sundays I will rest. I am 47. Was the hard block because I over did it. I ate correct but I don't think I ate enouth. I lost 12kg in 11 months. From 90kg to 78kg. I am 186cm long.

I suggest you take it easier than you were last year, when you might have been overdoing it. I suggest too, that you send this query to Cyberdoc for a medical opinion.

Your not eating breakfast or drinking adequately definitely wouldn't cause your heart block, but could contribute to the low blood pressure and light-headedness. So I recommend you eat a carbohydrate snack before exercising and make sure you are properly hydrated whilst you exercise.
Also make sure that you are eating adequately,perhaps chat to Dietdoc about your eating habits.

I hope this helps a little.