Question
Posted by: jay | 2005/07/04

Heart beating slow

hi

lately im experiencing a problem with my heart it sometimes slower than normal for some few seconds,i have to take a deep breath to regulate it again and when i carry something a little bit heavier i will feel as if there some needles piercing through my chest and through the heart the whole day, early last year i had a accident and i went for a treatment for 4 months and everything was until this this year. currently pregnant du you think it might b the reason why im experiencing this?

Expert ImageArchive

Dear Jay,

Being pregnant places a very different kind of the strain on the whole cardiovascular system. This will also vary according to how far along you are in your pregnancy. For example, your heart has to pump more blood than usual, as your body actually increases to circulating volume during pregnancy. As the baby grows, it needs more oxygen and nutrients, which your body (and organs like your heart) must supply and see to.

You do not say what the accident was that you had last year, but if it involved your chest, it is possible that the pregnancy is on some way triggering on “old injury”.

Because the pregnancy makes it a somewhat “not routine” situation, I would recommend that you discuss this with your gynaecologist first. If he agrees, then let him refer you to a cardiologist for a second opinion.

Good luck.

HeartDoc