Question
Posted by: Marlinda | 2007/04/01

Heart beating excessively fast

My daughter suffers from occasional run away heart beats. It usually happens once or twice a year. Yesterday she experienced 4 bouts of quick heart beats. She panicks and doesn't know what to do. She is 5 years old, not overweight and doesn't take any medicine. She was also not exercising yesterday. I am worried because there are heart problems in our family. A pedeatrician diagnosed her two years ago with mitral valve prolapse. Shold I take her for another opinion?

Dear Marlinda
Yes I think she should see a pediatric cardiologist - they may need to do a holter ECG - they put a sticker on her chest with a small carry around little machine that she wears for 24 hours to see exactly what happens when she gets the palpitaions. It may be due to the mitral valve prolapse. Look on easyinfo.co.za under medical for one near you.