Question
Posted by: gift | 2004/10/21

hearing voices

my mother who has been deaf from 1981- she says now she can hear voices of people speaking to her and sometimes see shadows of them.

She went to the clinic and gave her some medication, but can not say what causes this- her brother died 2 years ago and was suffering from the same problem as was her mother.

Please help and please and number for support group for this kind of illness.

Sadly, gift, we have far too few support groups of all sorts in this region, and none that I know of for such specific conditions. You don't mention your mom's age. It is recognized that deaf people may develop a sense of "hearing" voices, which may not be sinister ; or an older person may become confused in an infection, eg, or may develop mild dementia and other conditions affecting their brain function, and because they are not able to hear normal sounds and voices, able to compete with any false or imagined voices, in a sense, and thus could find it harder to check these against reality.
As for support, I'd suggest (a) talk to the doctor at the clinic and find out what diagnosis they made and what the pills were, so you'll know better what we're dealing with here ; and (b) contact the national organization for the Deaf, DEAFSA, c/o 011-482-1610, or 011-838-6835, and they should know of which of the other deafness support and assistance groups are available nearest to your mother.

1
Posted by: Paul | 2004/10/22

Do you mean that your mother is actually hearing voices? Was she born hearing impaired or did it occur later in her life? Perhaps she is so good now at following lip talk that in her mind she hears a voice. Like the voice you "hear" when reading a book?

Reply to Paul