Question
Posted by: Earing | 2006/11/15

Hearing

I am 35 and went to have grommets put in my ears 2 days ago as I have difficulty flying with my ears. The ENT did the procedure in his rooms under local anaethestic. While doing the second ear, I moved my head and the grommet fell into the middle ear...to cut a long story short, I got extreme vertigo and began vomitting, was put into ICU and have just returned home from my ordeal. I went for a hearing test yesterday which shows my hearing is lower than what it should be. The one grommet is in and okay, the second grommet was removed. I am in a situation now where I can hardly hear out of my left ear and have tinnitus sounds. Its so uncomfortable!!! Do you know how long this will take to heal? Will it heal? Is there a chance the eardrum wont heal? My ears feel totally blocked, do you think its safe to take a sudafed to see if it helps this blocked feeling?
The ENT was in a hurry this morning at the hospital and I did not have a chance to ask these questions...
Thanks for your time

Dear Earing
It will probably recover if the whole episode did not injure your small bones in the middle ear. The eardrum usually heals within 10 days - the blocked feeling is due to swelling and the fact that the eardrums now have small holes in them - it will get better - sudafed won't really help.
Phone his office and ask his secretary when you can talk to him - it is important to know exactly what the damage was and what the prognosis is.

There is medication you can take for the tinnitus and vertigo - are you still on something?