Question
Posted by: Tagsheen | 2006/11/10

Healthy diet ?? or not

Hi doc
i want to loose some weight and this is what im eating could u please tell me if this will help or not.
I start my morning by eating a banana (i dont eat breakfast cant stand food so early) then i will eat a apple bout 11am , at 1pm i will eat a salad which includes , lettuce , cucumber, tomatoe and feta cheese just to make it a little interesting at bout 3 i will have a orange and at night i'll eat my dinner . I also drink 8 glasses of water a day .
Thx

Dear Tagsheen
You should lose weight on this diet as it is actually very low in energy (unless of course you overeat at supper? something that happens easily if you basically 'skip' meals like you propose doing). Although all the foods you list are excellent and healthy foods, your diet is not balanced (e.g. no milk or dairy products included to provide the 1000 mg of calcium you need per day), and because of its low energy content you may develop cravings and feel tired. To lose weight you need to basically change your lifestyle. Reduce your energy intake by eating an energy-reduced, low-fat, high-fibre diet (click on 'Diet' at the top of this page, 'Weight loss', ‘Balanced diet' and then on 'Slimming Diet' for a copy of such a diet), and increasing your energy output by doing regular exercise (running, jogging, skipping, cycling, swimming, join a gym or Walk for Life). Compare what you are eating with this diet and make the necessary changes to prevent deficiencies and low blood sugar levels.

4
Posted by: Mike | 2006/11/10

If i ate that it would be a starvation diet for me !!!
But i weigh 88.2 kg so maybe u don't need as much food as me.
The one thing i notice is that apart from small supper there is no protein and not enough of a balance.
Maybe try weigh-less as Kate suggests....
Have a banana when u wake up, but then around 08:00 have some cereal or low gi toast coz carbs give u energy.
Once i had to rush somewhere before gym so i just had an apple. I didn't have enough energy to finish my workout.
Normally i have cereal and fruit/fruit juice before gym.
Then a snack as soon as i get home.

Reply to Mike
Posted by: Kate | 2006/11/10

According to weigh less you need to have the following in your daily intake:
5 portions of complex carbs eg. 1 port = 30 g all-bran, 70g cooked basmati rice, 70 g cooked pasta, 120g mixed veggies (peas corn carrots)
3 portions of vegatables eg: 100g broccoli, 100g cucumber 100g patty pans, 100g lettuce, 100g mushrooms.
1 portion vegetable eg: 120g tomato, 100g pumpkin, 100g brussel sprouts, 75 g beetroot.
2 portions fruit, 1 fruit = 1 portion
1 portion LF protein eg:130g baked beans, 150g raw haddock, 120g tuna, 110g raw chicken, 110g fat free cottage cheese.
2 portions med fat prot eg: 100g pilchards, 30g feta cheese, 70g cooked beef/chicken or 80g turkey.
2 portions milk eg: 250 ml skim milk, 175 ml fat free yoghurt
3 portions fat eg: 30 mllow oil dressing, 45g olives, 10ml low fat spread.

Hope this helps, it is healthy and you should loose about 1-2 kg a week!! Good luck

Reply to Kate
Posted by: Tagsheen | 2006/11/10

I have a child she's 3 moths i dont breastfeed and dinner is anything but a very small plate for me, excercise sometimes but baby keeps me on my feet whole day

Reply to Tagsheen
Posted by: Kate | 2006/11/10

I have a couple of questions before I can give my opinion if this diet is healthy or not?
Do you excersise? How old are you? Do you have kids or are you pregnant? What does your dinner consist off?

These answers will have an influence on wheter this diet is healthy or not, for you. :-)

Reply to Kate