Question
Posted by: sibuko | 2004/03/04

healthy diet for HIV+ peolple

Good day

I would just like your advice regarding what you may, in your expert opinion, consider to be a well balanced and healthy diet for somebody living with the HIV. It would also be appreciated if you could also mention what are considered risky foods for this condition. I am extremely healthy but approximately fifteen kilograms underweight for my age and height. I have recently quit smoking, which has somewhat increased my appetite but I would like to ensure that the food I do eat is in fact not detrimental to my already precarious state. Information on the kinds of fluids that help someone in my position would also be most appreciated. I have a pretty healthy exercise regime and would like to match that with a healthy diet.

Dear Sibuko
I have written a number of articles on HIV and Diet and you can access them by doing a Search on the Health24 Website with "HIV and diet" or "HIV/AIDS and Diet'. It is necessary to eat a high-protein diet to prevent muscle wasting. All proteins foods are suitable and this includes: meat, poultry, fish, eggs, milk, yoghurt, cheese, maas, and plant protein foods such as legumes (dry beans, peas, lentils and soya products). Basically it is good idea to eat plenty of fresh fruit and vegetables (all of them contain protective nutrients) and to take Salmon oil capsules to boost the immune system. If you phone the Dept of Health in Pretoria you should be able to obtain the booklet on 'Nutrition Guidelines for People Living with HIV/AIDS" - your local clinic may also have copies available. Also phone Magda of Fresenius Kabi and ask her about Supportan, a high-energy, high-protein meal replacement which is enriched with omega-3 fatty acids and antioxidants (Tel: 083-603-2000 or (011) 203-2000). Stopping smoking is a positive step and the fact that you are exercising is also excellent. Just make sure that you also get enough rest.