Question

Healthy diet during pregnancy

I've always been obsessed with my weight and although i'm not scared about piling on the pounds during my pregnancy, I'm more concerned about the health of my baby. I feel guilty everytime i put something to my lips that is not 100% pure health. I think there is an underlying link to my obsession with my diet but I want to confirm that what i'm eating is not going to cause long term harm to my baby (i.e. obesity, diabetes etc). I must add that my BMI before i fell pregnant was 18 (57g and 1.75m tall). I'm currently 18 weeks pregnant and I've picked up 1.5kgs so far. My diet is as follows:

Breakfast: All Bran Flakes with skim milk and a banana or a blueberry and banana smoothie with a slice of whole wheat toast and cheese

Snack: Fruit and a packet of peanuts or a cereal bar and a peice of fruit

Lunch: Wholewheat sandwich with salad or peanut butter

Snack: Yoghurt and fruit

Dinner: White or red meat or fish with 2 veg and a starch

I have chocolate about 3 times a week but i don't consume tea, coffee or any soft drinks.

I struggle to digest milk so I can't consume more than what I get with breakfast or with the yoghurt.

I am taking a multi vitamin.

The only time I don't feel guilty is when I'm eating fruit and vegetables. With everything else, especially treats, I feel terrible.

Your help would be much appreciated

Dear Anon
Congratulations on your pregnancy! Please don't stress yourself about foods all the time as the baby will be affected by constant stress. Your diet seems perfectly reasonable and should provide most of the nutrients your child needs. Because of your problem with milk (lactose intolerance?) you must also take a calcium supplement like Calcium Sandoz or Caltrate because you need about 1500 mg of calcium a day to ensure that your baby grows strong healthy bones and teeth and that you don't develop a deficiency. Also ask the dr or gynae who is supervising your pregnancy to test you for iron deficiency which is common in pregnancy and needs to be addressed by supplements. Due to the fact that you started your pregnancy with such a very low BMI of 18, you need to gain weight of at least 13 kg over the 9 months (thus about 1,5 kg a month, as you seem to be doing). Your obsession with foods, guilt about weight and eating all need to be sorted out because you could so easily transfer these fears and phobias to your child which would be a pity. If possible consult a clinical psychologist (ask your gp to refer you) so that you can learn to control these fears and phobias.
Enjoy your pregnancy and please stop stressing

1
Posted by: French | 2008/01/24

I just found out that i am pregnant 2 weeks ago. I am very
worried because i am over weight and constanly trying to loss weight so now i am worried for mine and teh baby's health. Please can you advise me on what to eat that will be healthy for Baby and will help me keep the pounds down as much as possible.

French

Reply to French