Question
Posted by: miss B | 2007/03/01

Healthy diet

Hi Doc i'm a normal weight and i don't have issues with my weight and i would like to start eating healthy.i was adviced to eat lots of fruits and veggies.my question is that is it OK to fry veggies because i'm not on a diet and if fried veggies are still healthy like boiled ones?i fry my cabbage ,spinach with a little oil and add a little oil to my potatoes and i add a little butter to my sweet potatoes .is this healthy for a person who does not have weight problems?

Dear Miss B
If you don't have a weight or cholesterol problem then you can lightly stir-fry vegetables in olive or canola oil (which are rich in 'good' fats like monounsaturated fatty acids). You can also add about 1 t of olive oil to spinach and some margarine that is high in mono- or polyunsaturated fats (check on the label) to your potatoes. One can use fats and oils in a normal balanced diet, but it is better to choose ones that are rich in the 'good' fats.
Enjoy