Question
Posted by: Nicky | 2007/04/10

Healthier toasted sandwich option?

When we are on the road, or if I just want a small-
ish take-away, I often choose a toasted sandwich. I either have cheese & tomato, or chicken mayonnaise. I have always wondered which is healthier, though, and therefore the better choice. Can you let me know which is better based on kilojoules, fat, nutrients etc?

Dear Nicky
If you select a toasted sandwich made with wholewheat bread (if possible), then you will at least obtain the benefits from the B vitamins, minerals and dietary fibre in the bread. The SA Food Tables do not give the nutritive value of combined foods like a toasted sandwich. I have estimated the energy and other nutritive values as follows: 50g chicken with 30g mayonnaise: 1144 kJ, 14 g protein, 23g fat, 4g saturated fat and 62 mg cholesterol. For 30g Cheddar cheese: 506 kJ, 7,5g protein, 10g fat, 6 g saturated fat and 32 mg cholesterol. The rest of the sandwich is identical (e.g. 2 slices of bread plus any butter they may add). So the cheese and tomato sandwich has the lowest energy, fat and cholesterol contents, but contains more saturated fat than the chicken mayo sandwich. It is probably best to order the cheese and tomato.
Enjoy