Question
Posted by: Nkateko | 2011/08/12

Health shakes and Meal Supplements

Hi, i dont know if this still counts as a " fitness"  question, but i''ve noticed that I''ve become hungry more often since i started going to the gym, and i dont really want to eat more because i''m trying to lose weight, so i wanted to know if you could please recommend any health shakes which i can take as a ''" snack"  or even a meal replacement that would fill me up.

Hi Nkateko

You will get hungry as a result of training, that's a normal response. The key is to manage the appetite, using the timing of meals and the type of foods you eat around the training.

I wouldn't recommend shakes per se though - one of the problems with drinking your calories is that it's really easy to overdo it and take in too many - drinks don't kill the appetite that well, whereas food does, so it's better to eat if you can.

The best advice I can give you is to see a dietician about it, have them prescribe specifics - that's a diet question more than a fitness question. However, what you do need to avoid are high sugar foods, because they also tend to create spikes in blood sugar, it goes up and then down and that drives hunger later. End result - bingeing, which you obviously don't want. So try to avoid the processed, high sugar foods. But the idea of snacking is actually helpful - it's a matter of small portions and control.

Ross

1
Posted by: fitnessdoc | 2011/08/23

Hi Nkateko

Ross

Reply to fitnessdoc