Question
Posted by: ice babe | 2007/11/28

health risk after weight loss

hi. i have been on a strict diet and have lost 10kg. i still have 5kg to loose but my body seems to be reacting negatively to my diet. i am more hungry all the time and my body is blowing and i crave food stuff i never use to eat before. do you think this is an adverse reaction to my diet or i am lacking something in my diet...pls help i really do not want to go back to old,fat me

Dear Ice Babe
You don't say what kind of 'strict diet' you have been using (very-low-energy or high-protein or low-fat or what??), so it is difficult to judge what is going on with your health. If the energy and/or carbohydrate content of your diet is too low this could be the reason for the hunger and the food cravings. So I can only recommend that you lose the last 5 kg with a balanced diet which contains enough carbohydrate to prevent constant hunger and food cravings. You can try eating an energy-reduced, low-fat, high-fibre diet (click on 'Diet' at the top of this page, 'Weight loss', ‘Balanced diet' and then on 'Slimming Diet' for a copy of such a diet), and also increasing your energy output by doing regular exercise (running, jogging, skipping, cycling, swimming, join a gym or Walk for Life).

1
Posted by: Lynne | 2007/11/28

Dear ice babe
The problem with 'strict diets' are that people inadvertently revert back to their old eating habits (diets) once they've lost a certain amount of weight simply because the strict diet is impractical for obvious reasons. So many people get to a point where they're over keen on loosing weight and want to employ drastic measures to see fast results and then go on strict diets. So they loose the weight and the 'diet' is over ... back to the old regime. In many cases people then overindulge because they deprived themselves for so long of the foods they like. They put the weight back on and become very depressed. And so the vicious circle starts whereby they become slaves of the diet industry buying the one quick fix product after the other.
Rather make the effort to educate yourself i.t.o. healthy eating and accept that loosing excess weight and keeping it off can only be achieved by permanent lifestyle changes. Strict diets are very counterproductive most of the time!
Also remember that as we age our bodies get better and better at storing fat and one of the best ways of counteracting that (in addition to a healthy diet) is by increasing you energy expenditure through exercise.

Reply to Lynne