Question
Posted by: lala | 2007/08/07

health risk???

Is it a bad option to take an oral contraceptive (to be spesific Yasmin from schering) for as long as 5 years?? Will it give me skin pigmentation or make me gain weight (altough i heard that yasmin actually makes you lose a little weight) and MOST importantly does it increase your chances of getting cancer so much that it is unwise to take a contraceptive pill for so long?? Are there any other risks I should know about or is it completely safe for me to take yasmin for a period that can possibly last up to 5 years?? My grandmother had breast cancer ,but it was at a very old age of 80 after she was on the pill for like 4o YEARS!! Because she didnt want to go through menopause so her doctor put her on the pill and she was on it for a loooong time.Other than that I don't have any close related people with cancer, I dont smoke, I eat a healthy diet and am at a healthy weight...

It is fine to take an oral contraceptive for 5 years. The side effects will vary from person to person and are not rekated to the length of time that you take the Pill. There are potential complications with the Pill, including a small increase in the risk of breast cancer and blood clots , but ther eare also many health benefits. You can read more about the pros and cons by searching under Contraception on the webiste.