Question
Posted by: Joe | 2008/01/08

Health machines

Hi doc

i've got a question.

Does those Electro Cellulite and muscle contracting/toning machines/pads work? and the galvanic waves? Is it really effective and safe/health in reducing cellulite and toning muscles and reduce weight?

Any advice on this will be appreciated.

Hi Joe

I'm afraid I don't believe they do work, no. The principle on which they are supposed to work is flawed from the beginning, because we know that you cannot spot reduce and burn fat in specific areas only through any kind of exercise, let alone a machine the contracts the muscle for you.

Unfortunately the market for these products exists because people are always trying for short cuts and easy ways to achieve what is, admittedly, difficult to do. But the only way you can reduce weight, tone and lose cellulite is regular cardio training - like running, walking, cycling, swimming, taebo, aerobics etc. Anything that is cardiovascular gets the heart pumping and energy burning is most effective. It is just a question of how you use these cardio sessions. I would suggest at least 4 days a week of cardio training, each session lasting about 30 to 45 minutes, AT LEAST. You have to build up this duration and then keep at it consistently in order to see change.

The specific exercises for the area in question have a relatively minor role, other than that they are responsible for developing the muscle in the area, which creates the appearance of being toned. That's obviously what you want, but you have to realise that you can't do the toning and specific work first and neglect the cardio - it has to work the other way around, cardio first, toning second. So focus on cardio, then on toning.

Diet is also very crucial, and if it's not 100% it will undermine any exercise benefits. So the best thing is to see a dietician or follow a very good diet plan. Just remember that low kilojoule is not necessarily better - too low causes problems as well, because it causes the body's metabolic rate to drop and that affects your ability to lose weight in the future. So don't try to starve yourself or go overboard, rather eat sensibly, cut out as much fat as you can, and listen to your body.

Ross