Posted by: BONNIE | 2008/08/19

My Pug is 11 Years old and suffering from a Narrowing Windpipe and Colapsing Trachea. Every now and then her Coughing is so bad that you cannot stand it and I have to take her to the Vet. She also passed out this morning when starting Coughing. They only injects her with a Steriod (Predinosolene), Millophyline and Latex. Is there any Cure or alternative treatment for this Condition??? And preventing her from getting this BAD, Bad Cough??

Dear Bonnie

Is your dog alive after the latex injection? Ask your vet to use lasix next time.

The best treatment is a combination of Fortekor (ACE inhibitor), frusemide (Lasix) and you can use Millophyline daily if needed. Corvetal-D is also used to open the airways a bit. The vets in SA normally use a human form of Corvental-D as I am not sure if available here.

This is long term medication and may make it better but not cure this condition.

Posted by: Chill | 2008/08/19

Has there been an official diagnosis of a collapsing trachea? It' s quite hard to diagnose, because they have to do a scope or x-ray at the moment it' s happening, or they won' t really know.

Talk to your vet about a drug called Theophylline, which is used in humans for asthma. I' ve had very good results with that. If your vet thinks it' s worth a try, you' ll have to fiddle around with the dosage, because the drug sometimes makes the dog quite hyped-up - it' s in the same group of things as caffeine - so give the biggest dose in the morning. As long as you don' t exceed the maximum, you can tweak it to suit.

Another thing: coughs beget coughs - if a dog has to cough (or a human, for that matter) the very act of couging can set up an irritation which provokes more coughs. So sometimes an anti-inflammatory can improve matters - in fact, if your vet agrees with the theophylline idea, ask if you can get one or two Rimadyl tablets at the same time, and give him a quarter a day for a couple of days, to help settle things down.

Let us know what happens - if you try it, I' d be interested to hear if it works as well for you as it did for me! My dog is completely off all medications now, and I' m truly amazed at the difference it made. He' s 15 years old and I thought we were heading for the Big Downhill - but he has a whole new lease on life now!

By the way, do you mean Latex, or Lasix?

Reply to Chill