Question
Posted by: Mal | 2005/07/13

Headache/Sinus

Hi Doc, I posted a question a week or so ago. I have been suffering with a headache which feels like pressure on the top or back left hand side of my head. The GP put it down to chronic sinus and gave me Augmentin SR, Claratine and Flagyl. My antibiotics finish in 2 days and I still feel exactly the same. What is the next step? What could the problem be?

Mal, the antibiotics will only work if the cause of the sinusitis is indeed an infection. Your GP was clever and tried to cover for allergies too by adding an antihistamine (Clarityne®) to the mix. This now seems to suggest that it isn’t due to sinusitis and that further investigations need to be done. You can of course try taking a combination of a painkiller and an anti-inflammatory just in case it is due to a tension type headache. Good luck.

4
Posted by: anxious | 2005/07/14

I suffer from chronic sinus trouble and had it recently where I landed up in bed for 4 days because it got onto my chest very badly. I ended up with a dose of bronchitis, sinus infection and throat infection and had 10 days of antibiotics and 10 days Clarytine DoD - all caused by my sinus trouble. The injection you had was possibly Celestone Soluspan - cortisone based injection, which is always what I have for my sinus trouble - it is brilliant and works like a charm - my gp always follows it up with antibiotic treatment. I can't take any form of anti-inflammatory group medication because of my kidney problems. This year has been particularly bad because it has been so dry. I have invested in a humidifier which I think has helped.

Reply to anxious
Posted by: cat | 2005/07/14

Hi there, I also have sinus issues....I don't get flu but rather sinusitis. I had it two weeks ago and the doctor also gave me an injection for the pain...I'm assuming it was a voltaren injection....within 15mins the pain in my face [cheekbones, jaws] above my eye and in my head was gone. He also gave me antibiotic [purbac] and sinucon tabs. So far everything's good. Last year I had it so bad was like migraine. Weird part is it happens like nearly 4 times a year [once in each season], so maybe pollen, season changes have something to do with it. My doc says it's a build up of fluid in the sinus [cavities] that cause the pain. Believe me I know how horrible it is....the pain I get in my jaw feels like I have severe toothache...

Reply to cat
Posted by: rd | 2005/07/13

My wife is one of the major sufferers of sinus and resulting headaches. She has tried everything, acupuncture, specialists,headache clinics and so on.
Anyway ashort while back she went to our GP for a referral to another specialist. He asked her why and she explained her problem. His response ' oh no I'll give you an injection for that wait a minute and promptly did' Result no sinus and no headaches so far for nearly three weeks!!!
I don't know what the injection contained but it worked. Very happy wife at the momemnt weird!!

Reply to rd
Posted by: Blossom | 2005/07/13

Mal
I have been suffering from sinus all my life. The best advice I can give you is to go to a specialis (ear, nose and throat). If this is a persistant thing let them do a scan and they will also do a scope. GP's tend to treat all sinus conditions the same.
Antibiotic, cortisone, antihistamines ect. which without actually knowing what the problem is, is useless. You will end up spending a fortune on meds and nothing helps.

In my case I get sinus infection and the cure is not a quick course of antibiotics, it actually means a very long one. My sinuses cannot tollerate any meds that dries up the mucus and nazal sprays also makes it worst. So you need to find out specifically what causes your sinus and they will also do a dieetary allergy blood test or for inhalants (like pollon etc)

Reply to Blossom