Question
Posted by: mush | 2008/07/18

Headaches too often

Hi, i' ve been a headache sufferer (am female, 32 years of age)since my teen years. Recently they have gotten worse, I get up to 3 headaches a week at times and other weeks I can go by without a headache. Recently I ve taken up action netball, its only a 40min game but the following day I have a sore/stiff neck and suffer from a really bad headache, feeling faint and extremely nauseous and pain behind my eyes. I don' t know what to do. I' ve had my eyes tested, nothing wrong with them. I am on no medication except nordette contraceptive pill. Please advise me what to do.

Expert ImageHeadache expert

Dear Mush,

Anyone suffering from a headache such as yours must have a proper medical assessment, which should include a neurological examination. The reason for this is to make absolutely certain that there is not some serious or life threatening underlying medical condition causing the headaches. Although this is uncommon, it is essential to exclude this possibility before doing anything else.

Once this has been done, then the next part of the investigation is started. The correct way to deal with the problem is to have a proper diagnosis of the underlying causes of the headache. If these are treated, the headaches no longer occur, and it is no longer necessary to rely on potentially harmful “rescue” medication.

To get to the root of the problem, you need what is called a “multidisciplinary” assessment. There are many different structures in the head and neck, all of which can be involved in the headache process, and no single specialist can have all the knowledge necessary to make a comprehensive assessment and diagnosis. For this reason, the combined the expertise of different specialists who would normally treat headache patients in isolation, are co-ordinated into a single more comprehensive body of knowledge. This enables a more comprehensive treatment plan, in which all the contributing factors are addressed. This assessment must include examination to determine the presence of tension in the head and neck muscles.

Headache sufferers often have a poor Quality of Life due to the constant pain and associated symptoms. For a free assessment of how your headaches are affecting your Quality of Life, click on http://www.headacheclinic.co.za/

This information has been supplied and checked by the multidisciplinary team of specialists at The Headache Clinic, in association with The International Headache Society and the South African Institute of Headache and Migraine Science. For consultation with these specialists, call The Headache Clinic on 0861 678 911 (Johannesburg, Cape Town, Durban).

2
Posted by: tasha | 2008/07/29

Hi dear.please tell me if anything worked 4 u because i also suffer from headaches DAILY couple times a day and some times i feel DIZZY.please help if you get any cures 4 ur headaches. im new in the internet therefore i dont no how 2 ask 4 help.thanks

Reply to tasha
Posted by: Mari | 2008/07/19

Dear mush,
I found out that a lot depends on what you eat, i.e. pork, MSG and other preservatives (read the labels, they are hidden in a lot of food products) as well as spicy foods and alcohol, are the reason for it. Try it for a week, no pork, no chips, no chocolate (cocoa), little coffee only, and lots of water! You will flush out all the poisen and hopefully the headaches disappear as mine did. And have your blood pressure checked as well as your cholesterol. Good Luck!

Reply to Mari