Question
Posted by: CK | 2007/12/16

Headaches that last for 3 months ????

I am a 27 year old male. I workout 5 times a week in the gym doing an intense program. Since Dec 2006 I started getting these headaches and neck pain( burning feeling) that last for almost 3 months. It went away and returned in June again for another 2-3 months. I stopped working out for 2 month in Sept and Oct and to be honest I have never felt so good in my life. Went back to the gym in Nov and my headaches and neck pain are back ever since. I have done blood works and everything is 100%. Blood pressure is approximately 135/80.
I have been working out for about 5 years now and never had this problem, my workout regime is exactly the same as before.
I stopped using all kinds of supplement to rule them out but didn't help. Changed my diet a million times but no luck. I went to the extreme and did a MRI / CT scan you name it, they tell me nothing is wrong.

Any idea what can cause this pain and how to avoid it?

Thank you very much

Expert ImageHeadache expert

Dear CK,

If the MRI and CT scans are normal, then all it shows is that the problem is not in your brain. This is not at all surprising because most headaches have nothing to do with diseases affecting the brain – most headaches are caused by problems with one or more structures outside the skull.

With regard to diet, only about 15-20% of headache sufferers have dietary triggers – and even in these, the diet is just s trigger, not the underlying cause.

To get to the root of the problem, you need what is called a “multidisciplinary assessment”. There are so many different structures in the head and neck, all of which can be involved in the headache process, that no single specialist can have all the knowledge necessary to make a comprehensive assessment and diagnosis. For instance, a neurologist will examine the brain and nervous system, a physiotherapist will look at the muscles, a dentist will examine the teeth etc. For this reason, the “multidisciplinary assessment” combines and integrates the expertise of different specialists who would normally treat headache patients in isolation, into a single more comprehensive body of knowledge. This assessment must include a thorough examination of the head and neck muscles to determine the presence of abnormal tension. This enables the different members of the team to provide a co-ordinated treatment plan, so that all the contributing factors are addressed.

Headache sufferers often have a poor Quality of Life due to the constant pain and associated symptoms. For a free assessment of how your headaches are affecting your Quality of Life, click on http://www.headacheclinic.co.za/

This information has been supplied and checked by the multidisciplinary team of specialists at The Headache Clinic, in association with The International Headache Society and the South African Institute of Headache and Migraine Science. For consultation with these specialists, call The Headache Clinic (Cape Town, Durban, Johannesburg) on 0861 678 911.

1
Posted by: CK | 2007/12/17

Thank you very much fro your prompt reply. I really appreciate it and will start doing my homework on the multidisciplinary assessment and diagnoses immediately.

I do hope they can find the cause of this problem because like you said it can makes ones life very difficult.

Thanks again.

Reply to CK