Posted by: Switchmunky | 2008/07/10

Headaches around eyes and back of head

I'm 24 years old and suffer from very dull headaches that sit around the back of my head and on the top of my eyes.
They usually last for two to 3 days and I suffer from sinus from time to time but these occur when I'm not having sinus issues.
Should I be concerned and if so do you have contact details for a headache clinic in Cape Town.
Much Thanks

Expert ImageHeadache expert

Dear Switchmunky,

Although the sinuses can play a part in the headache process, it is not nearly as common as people think. Research from headache clinics throughout the world shows that “sinus headache” is the most common misdiagnosis. Just because the pain is in the area of the sinuses, or because the patient has a post-nasal drip or blocked nose when the headache strikes, doesn’t mean that the sinuses are responsible. In fact what often happens is that when the underlying cause of the headache is treated, the sinus problems often clear up.

If the headaches are affecting your quality of life, or if you have to take medication for them, then you should have them seen to. You can make an appointment at the Cape Town branch by calling The Headache Clinic’s national number – 0861678911.

Headache sufferers often have a poor Quality of Life due to the constant pain and associated symptoms. For a free assessment of how your headaches are affecting your Quality of Life, click on

This information has been supplied and checked by the multidisciplinary team of specialists at The Headache Clinic, in association with The International Headache Society and the South African Institute of Headache and Migraine Science. For consultation with these specialists, call The Headache Clinic on 0861 678 911 (Johannesburg, Cape Town, Durban).