Posted by: Venus Nel | 2008/09/18

My friend - Male 46 years old - History of alcohol abuse and a heavy smoker has suffered from terrible headaches since I have known him. According to him, the pain is mostly on the right side of his head and he has started to get extreme pain in the right ear as well, Recently (about 3 months) he started getting bad pain behind his adams apple (inside the throat) and bleeds through his nose (when he is in pain), he also spits blood and gets very nauseous at times. He also spits out dried blood.

He will not go to a doctor, scared of what the diagnosis might be, I am very worried as the headaches, ear and throat pains occur more frequently at the moment. He would get a head and ear ache once a day but now it is constant.

Please advise on what I can do for him as he has no medical aid and refuses to go to out patients at our local state hospital.

Expert ImageHeadache expert

Dear Venus,

If your friend refuses to go to a doctor or seek medical attention, then I am afraid there is nothing else that can be done for him, except that you keep on nagging him to get medical attention.