Question
Posted by: PK | 2003/12/02

Headaches

For the past five weeks I have experienced excruciating headaches on the top left side of my head. I have had a l.p., brain scan and all come out with negative results. The scan showed polyps on my sinuses. I have been treated with sibelium, strong painkillers and a muscle relaxant but nothing works. It seems to build up pressure and then for about 20 mins excruciating pain and then it goes away; only to return an hour or so later. I have heard of a certain poisoning from fillings and crowns = could a faulty crown be the cause of these headaches?

PK, I seriously doubt that it¡¦s due to a faulty crown. It sounds like it might be cluster headaches, but one would expect the neurologist to have picked it up. The best would be to contact your neurologist again and make sure that nothing serious is the matter. FYI, here are the major characteristics of a cluster headache:
„« Headache lasts 15 minutes - 2 hours up to 4 - 8 times a day
„« Male more than female
„« Attacks come in clusters of 4 - 12 weeks with problem-free months in between
„« Located on one side and frequently involves the eye or the area around the eye
„« Severe to excruciating intensity
„« Penetrating and stabbing pain
„« Nausea and / or vomiting
„« Sensitivity to light and / or sound
„« Bloodshot eye and / or increased tears
„« Swelling and / or drooping of eyelid
„« Blocked or runny nose
Let me know if you have more questions. Good luck.