Question
Posted by: Headache sufferer | 2005/05/25

Headache during pregnancy

Dear Gynaedoc

I am currently 16 weeks pregnant and have been experiencing heavy headaches since the start of my pregnancy. I have tried hot and cold compresses and massages and nothing helps. Is it safe to take any medication and which.

I also feel the symptoms of flu currently and would like to know what I can take (eg Corenza C) to boost my immune system but not hurt my baby.

Many thanks.

You can use Panado for the headaches.
You should not take Corenza C because of the aspirin and phenyephrine.

3
Posted by: Hope | 2005/05/25

I've been having the exact same problem. Most of my headaches have been due to stress, but I also finally figured out that even one cup of ceylon tea or coffee could trigger a headache. For me the other culprit is vienna sausages! they contain nitrites, which are famous for causing headaches. Since I cut those out, my headaches have just about disappeared. Hope it also works for you. As Science also suggested, drinking enough fluid is essential, because your blood volume is now increasing and you need extra fluid to hydrate your body and also your brain. Good luck, I know how awful it is.

Reply to Hope
Posted by: moi | 2005/05/25

as far as i know, panado is the only pain killer that you can safely take. i'm 12 weeks, and have also been suffering terribly with headaches, but i had the same problem with my first pregnancy. i only ever take panado's.

i dont think that corenzac is safe to take during pregnancy. when i feel a bit fluish, i stock up on oranges and have about 4 a day. or maybe you could try cal c vita.

Reply to moi
Posted by: Science | 2005/05/25

You can safely take Panado or any paracetamol. Also try drinking at least 8 glasses of water a day. For the rest, a massage might help if the headaches are due to tension. Unfortunately not much else can be done. Has your doc been checking your blood pressure regularly? thats also essential to rule out low or high blood pressure, both of which can cause headaches. You must also eat regularly to keep you bloodsugar levels steady.

You cannot take Corenza C at all, as it contains aspirin and other components which are dangerous during pregnancy. Your normal pregnancy vitamin should be more than sufficient. I think there is a berry elixir which you can take - it advertised in the Fit Pregnancy or Your pregnancy magazine. Otherwise - stay far away from anyone who is ill, and get enough rest!

Hope this helps

Reply to Science