Question
Posted by: James | 2008/01/19

headache andmetallic taste

My husband has had a headache at the base of his skull radiating upwards which comes and goes in waves of pain, just after a wave he will have a metallic taste in his mouth and feel slightly spaced out. This has been happening for about 3 days on and off now and he has hardly ever had a headache before. I am worried because he has inherited high cholesterol which he manages with medication only but not diet - he is on a 20mg simvastatin once a day for this, and his last cholesterol test was last week, at 6.2 (overall). I'm worried that he may be having a stroke or something... Please can you give him some advice - should we take him to the emergency room?

Dear James

Thank you for visiting health24.com.

The cause for his headaches could have a multitude of reasons. It can be something benign, i.e. "Tros hoofpyne", or something serious, i.e. migraine or a vasculour type of headache, due to his high cholesterol. I certainly suggest that you take him to the emergency room, to have a CT of his head done.

Kind regards

1
Posted by: Andre | 2009/02/17

hi, my wife, 26, woke up this morning with a strange metallic taste in her mouth and her lip being skew on the right side, similar to a Sylvester Stallone look. she had a anxiety attack which caused slurred speech and lameness in her right arm for a full day, about 4 weeks ago. can this be related? please reply by email. thank you

Reply to Andre