Question
Posted by: curios | 2007/05/16

headache

Hi i get severe headaches when i come into contact with strong smells ie. perfumes, air fresners,etc. This is very frustrating cause it affects those around me, friends and work colleagues as their perfumes affect me. Is this a sinus problem and what can i use?

Expert ImageHeadache expert

Dear Curios,

Strong smells are often triggers for headaches, but it has nothing to do with your sinuses. What has to be done is a diagnosis must be made as to why your body reacts abnormally to the smells.

To get to the root of the problem, you need what is called a “multidisciplinary assessment”. There are so many different structures in the head and neck, all of which can be involved in the headache process, that no single specialist can have all the knowledge necessary to make a comprehensive assessment and diagnosis. For instance, a neurologist will examine the brain and nervous system, a physiotherapist will look at the muscles, a dentist will examine the teeth etc. For this reason, the “multidisciplinary assessment” combines and integrates the expertise of different specialists who would normally treat headache patients in isolation, into a single more comprehensive body of knowledge. This assessment must include a thorough examination of the head and neck muscles to determine the presence of abnormal tension. This enables the different members of the team to provide a co-ordinated treatment plan, so that all the contributing factors are addressed.

This information has been supplied and checked by the multidisciplinary team of specialists at The Headache Clinic, in association with The International Headache Society and the South African Institute of Headache and Migraine Science. For consultation with these specialists, call The Headache Clinic (Cape Town, Durban, Johannesburg) on 0861 678 911.

1
Posted by: coyote | 2007/06/19

To Whom It May Concern:

My wife has these contentious headaches, she has tried almost every medication yet nothing seems to be helping her.

Please can you help me find her a cure for those headaches?

Thanks and best regards:

RAVEN

Reply to coyote