Question
Posted by: Dwaine | 2005/07/05

Headache

I'm a 16 years old boy and I play rugby.I often get headaches at practise and it hurts a lot.I do eat after school before practise.What can be the cause of this???

Expert ImageHeadache expert

Dear Dwaine,

There can be any number of causes for your headaches, even headaches brought on by physical exertion. If you eat beforehand, then low blood sugar can of course be ruled out. To get to the root of the problem you need what is called a “multidisciplinary” examination. There are many different structures in the head and neck, all of which can be involved in the headache process, and no single specialist has all the knowledge necessary to make a comprehensive assessment and diagnosis. For this reason, the combined the expertise of different specialists who would normally treat headache patients in isolation, is co-ordinated into a single more comprehensive body of knowledge. This enables a more comprehensive treatment plan, in which all the contributing factors are addressed.

This information has been supplied and checked by the multidisciplinary team of specialists at The Headache Clinic, in association with The International Headache Society and the South African Institute of Headache and Migraine Science. For consultation with these specialists, call The Headache Clinic on 0861 678 911.