Question
Posted by: Deb | 2004/11/16

Head stands/hand stands

Please advise what precautions one should take before doing these positions. What are the danger signals if any and should they be avoided during menstruation? Also, how long is it safe to stay in these inverted positions and what exactly are the benefits?

Tks

Expert ImageYoga

Hi Deb - well there is no short or simple answer to this one - this is an area that you are likely to get a lot of differing or downright contradictory advice - depending on who you ask. My suggestion is to do a little research at yogajournal.com but always bear in mind that only you can be the adjudicator for what is right for you - part of the lesson in yoga is learning to listen to your body, but be particularly aware of your neck in headstand and I generally recommend not doing inversions during the first 3 days of menstruation. BKS Iyengar in his book "Light on Yoga" lists the benefits of handstand as "It strengthens the shoulders, arms and wrists and expands the chest fully." There is almost a whole page on headstand effects (which is known as the king of postures) amongst them being: "healthy pure blood flows through the brain cells. It ensures a proper blood supply to the pituitary and pineal glands in the brain. Our growth, health and vitality depend on the proper functioning of these two glands." An experienced teacher can be invaluable in the learning of these postures.
All the best.
Chris

1
Posted by: Deb | 2004/11/22

Many thanks for the reply. You have answered my questions. I personally find the handstand against a wall most comfortable and find that I really feel invigorated afterwards. I have been taught the correct posture by a good yoga teacher.

Reply to Deb